We are passionate about providing challenging activities and leadership opportunities in curriculum areas and as extracurricular activities. Students have opportunities to participate in national and regional competitions. We work in close collaboration with the Universities to raise awareness and aspirations for future higher education. A flavour of some activities that students have participated in:
- Have opportunities to enter National and regional competitions for example Britain’s Future Chef, National Maths Challenge, Schools writing competition, National Theatre’s playwriting programme, Creative Hertfordshire Flame Awards, National dance competition, UK Bebras Computational Thinking Challenge
- In year 7 students visit the University of Hertfordshire and are introduced to university education and are taken on a guided tour of the campus.
- Students at greatest risk of underachievement or lowest aspirations are mentored by undergraduate mentors for around ten sessions in the spring term. This is again followed up by a visit and workshops at the university Campus.
- Y 9 students attend a Pathfinders Day at the University to give them an insight into higher education at University
- Participate in Revision skills workshops led by the Hertfordshire University
- Year 9 students lead the Science fair for Year 5 and 6 from our feeder primary schools
- Participate in the Ambassadors programme at KS3
- Y 9 Act as reading mentors for students with weaker reading skills
- Attend workshops at local industry ‘Making it in Medicine’ at Glaxo Smith Kline and Chemistry at Work
- Departments invite visiting speakers from Business and Industry for example a talk on ‘Fires in Space’, ‘Deep under the seas’ and visiting authors
- Year 9 expressive arts students lead performances to feeder primary school and play a leading role in the National Rock Challenge.
- Enhancing speaking skills in Modern Foreign languages by mentoring from student studying languages at the University of Hertfordshire.
- Participation in KS3 and KS4 reading challenge